Family, History and Love

Wanda and I have been discussing, of late, the need to set down in writing some portion of our family history so that in the future our children and grandchildren will have the stories and tales of our lives direct from the source. The technophile that I am, I choose to do this online so that the what we write will be accessible and available for comment to our wider family (though I reserve the right to moderate those comments).

To that end, I have repurposed this blog. In coming posts, we will endeavor to provide an abridged story of our life (hey, everyone has their secrets). We're writing this for our children and their children and those that come later so elements of these tales will be familiar only to our family,

Saturday, November 07, 2009

The Next Project

This image is the latest from my Fae in All of Us project, and probably the last image from this project for the year. I still have a few more images to shoot in the series including the Wind, Earth and Winter Fae, but with the exception of the Winter Fae, I'm unlikely to shoot them this year. The Earth and Wind shoots had been planned, but in the case of the former, the model canceled on me and in the latter case, the prospective location wasn't available in time to do the shoot before the weather turned too cool and wet for an outdoor shoot.

It's alright though, the shoots will get done in due course. My extensive portfolio of images from previous shoots in the series has made it much easier to find willing models to participate in the remainder of the series. I may have to push back the publication of my book, but that's okay too. I'd rather take the time to create the right images with the right models than set myself an artificial deadline.

In the meantime, though, I'm starting a new project for the winter months, though in all likelihood I'll continue the project into the warmer months as well. I'm calling the project Swords and Sorcery, though it rightly should be called Swords and Sorceresses, as it features models as both warriors and mistresses of magic.

I've been slowly acquiring the materials to shoot this project over the last couple of years and the project planning is almost complete. I've put out a casting call and I have studio time available, and with any luck the project will start soon.

My goal is to use the art of Michael Whelan, Luis Royo, Julia Bell and and Boris Vallejo as inspiration for a series of photos that put my own twist on the concept of strong women. On the concept page of my website, I describe the project: "I decided to create a series of images featuring various models whose outfits and looks are coordinated with matching sword or enchanted device. The idea is to create a series of images showing women as strong, mystical figures with innate power and beauty"

The artist and designer, Kit Rae, has also inspired a portion of the project with his fantastical sword designs, especially his Swords of the Ancients series which includes the Avoloch Mithrodin sword seen here.

The costume designs for the shoot will include a variety of items but will primarily feature the chain mail jewelry I've been acquiring from artists in Connecticut. I've been using much of their jewelry in my Fae project and it seems quite appropriate to match their unique designs to the models and swords as part of the creative challenge.

No comments: